I’ve seen a lot of people saying “Jack Thompson has joined Gamergate!” But, he hasn’t. This is complete misinformation.
The reasoning behind the idea is from a movie teaser released by The Sarkeesian Effect. In the teaser, there is a short clip of an interview with Jack Thompson where he is talking about Anita Sarkeesian and calls her “kind of a hypocrite.” That is it. This is not enough for someone to be considered “pro-Gamergate.”
- The Sarkeesian Effect is not a part of Gamergate.
- It is a movie project “covering [the progressive infiltration by disingenuous ‘Social Justice Warriors’] in video game and tech circles, culminating in the recent outrage known as #GamerGate.” Though the movie will tie in Gamergate, its focus is on SJWs.
- Criticism of Anita Sarkeesian does not equal support of Gamergate.
- Not every person who criticizes Sarkeesian supports Gamergate. This would be like assuming that every vegan is part of PETA.
- Jack Thompson has never stated a pro-Gamergate stance (as far as I know)
- I’ve never seen him comment on Gamergate in any way actually.
I have also seen accusations that Gamergate supports Jack Thompson. This is also not true. Perhaps some individuals may support him now, but this does not mean that Gamergate as a whole wishes for Thompson to take part. At most, this is a “the enemy of my enemy” type deal.
Here is a tweet from David Aurini, one of the people behind The Sarkeesian Effect, that I feel relates to this: FTR, neither Jordan nor I are in full agreement with Mr Thompson, but the reporting on him has been 1-sided.
#GamerGate #TheSarkeesianEffect” 
Another point I would like to bring up, here is the statement “Jack Thompson was right” being used on Twitter 3 months ago. Those were people opposed to Gamergate.
Finally, lets also make this clear: There is no definitive grouping of values/ideas that describe all Gamergate supporters or opposers.
You can be “pro-Gamergate” and still
- Dislike TotalBiscuit or Oliver
- Like Kotaku
- Agree that there are problems of sexism in video games and the industry
Just like you can be “anti-Gamergate” and still
- Dislike Sarkeesian
- Dislike Gawker
- Agree that gaming journalism needs ethics reform
At the moment, we should categorize Jack Thompson as neutral or even “uninformed.” I personally have no idea what he thinks in regards to Gamergate or whether he really knows anything about it at all. If I find any more information in regards to this then I will update this post. In the meantime, lets not label people one way or the other without confirmation. Only that person knows which side they are on.